Tuesday, January 17, 2017

2017 Unconscious Connections

It's 2017! Wowie. I don't have to go into what a shit-show 2016 was, but I'm ready for it to be over. Of course, it's going to be a terrifying new year and I'm worried for what will come, but for now, I'll focus on my personal resolutions and some stuff that I've done in 2016.
I completed three journals this year, which is less than I have in the past (2015 I finished five (I think), 2014 I finished five).
I've talked about this a lot in previous posts, but this past semester was very difficult for me creation wise. Partly, I think it has to do with the fact that I make so much stuff for school that it's hard to make things outside of what is required. Additionally, I've just been having an intense inspirational block like I really haven't ever experienced before. I've talked about this block in this post, and before that this post, but I'm still really feeling it and still just not sure how to get out of it. I'm hoping this break has recharged me and my new classes will inspire me, but who knows! If anyone has any artist block suggestions let me know!
In discussing what I might want to do for my Senior Show (which is coming up quicker than I thought! yikes), one of my teachers told me to explore the unconscious connections between things that I make. This is something I've thought about before, without ever putting it into the words unconscious connections. I made a post where I matched journal entires to outfits I've worn, I've always kind of integrated journal pages with outfit photos and things that have been going on in my life, and a few years ago, I made a post with a photo of journal entries that matched each other from different times that year. With that in mind, I did something similar with the three journals I filled this year.

Also, I've been taking videos of a flip through of my journals the past few times I've finished them, so that I have a flip through video of each of these journals this year! You can now see every page. Also, if you go to my Vimeo, there's another video of a journal from last year you can see too. 

October 2015 - April 2017



To Open Pull Here from Maya Gulassa on Vimeo.

June and July 2016




Salt from Maya Gulassa on Vimeo.

July 2016 - January 2017



Personal Protection from Maya Gulassa on Vimeo.

And lastly, my resolutions for 2017:

  • Journal more--I want to touch my journal every day. It doesn't mean I have to make a full entry every day, but make a mark. 
  • I'm trying to keep a calendar of months at each start of the month in my journal, and write what I've done each day in it to keep memories alive, and organize myself! I'm bad with dates and I want to be better.
  • Update this more (once a month at least)--is that a resolution every year? Maybe. Doesn't mean I don't want to still try!
  • Be adventurous--every personality test I take says I love adventure, and yet I find myself not being spontaneous enough in my every day life. Spontaneity appeals to me in the vague sense, but I never practice it.
Happy New Year! Send me your tips for artist's block! 
<3
Maya

No comments:

Post a Comment